CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 8, 2010

POWER versus NUMBER


Genesis 18:26-32 (New International Version)

26 The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake." 27 Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?" "If I find forty-five there," he said, "I will not destroy it." 29 Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?" He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it." 30 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?" He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there." 31 Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?" He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it." 32 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?" He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."



Why would the Lord spare the whole place if majority of the people are wicked and only few are righteous? Why would He care for those few if they are outnumbered by the opposite forces?

REJECTING MAJORITY WINS. In this world, the principle 'majority wins' is habitually applied. But this principle has not been carried out in the texts for in this passage, God was giving Abraham the assurance that he would not destroy the whole city of Sodom if He could find a few righteous in it. The first time I've read this story I understood it as God's one way of telling Abraham that He is certain that no one is righteous in the city. Just now, I have understood that what I thought it was is not the sole reason. GOD WILL SPARE THE WHOLE CITY FOR THE SAKE OF THE FEW BECAUSE GOD KNOWS THAT IF THESE FEW PEOPLE WILL WORK FOR HIS GLORY, EVEN IF THEY'RE OUTNUMBERED, THEY COULD OVERPOWER THE MAJORITY.


UPY2DN: We know how gahi UP students are but if we would stand firm and work for the glory of God, we could make a difference. Afterall, God has put us into UP because He has given us the power to influence people and to leave a mark. By the grace of God, we could help turn gahi to humok. Kay kita man pud niagi ana. Gahi man pud ta sauna pero unsaon taman na nga WALA MAN JUY GAHI SA GINOO kaya na-win pud ta! Todo na ni! :]

P.S. This passage coincides with God's promise for me today. Take time to read Genesis 17:2-8. Let's go against the flow. God bless us all! :]

0 comments: